Magnoric is on the road to Eurostars 3!
Magnoric has teamed up with Magneto to win the Eurostars 3 grant for innovative companies. Together, the 2 companies aim to develop revolutionary, energy-efficient magnetocaloric cooling units (MCUs) for the refrigerant industry.
Eurostars 3 is a program set up by EUREKA and the European Commission as part of the European Partnership on Innovative SMEs to provide priority support for innovative SMEs with high growth potential and a collaborative innovation project.
Our breakthrough innovation, unseen in the industry, is a sustainable cooling technology that uses 30%-50% less energy and no harmful refrigerant gasses, making it compliant with industry regulations and a viable option to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The novel technology operates at low pressure, requires less maintenance than current solutions, and utilises a unique design that has low noise and vibrations. Additionally, it reduces the cost of magneto caloric cooling systems by 400X by using abundantly available materials, making it commercially viable.
This project will benefit from the collaboration of Magneto and Magnoric. Each partner is able to contribute unique technological expertise.
– Magneto’s innovation in magnetocaloric materials optimizes cooling performance at low cost.
– Magnoric has extensive experience in the design and production of cooling devices, which are optimized magnetically, hydraulically and thermally to achieve the best performance.
There is an increasing demand for sustainable cooling systems due to the following changes in the cooling system industry:
- International conventions (Montreal Protocol, Kyoto Agreement) to ban the use of HFC refrigerants and other gasses are creating national regulations that force the industry to change the gasses used in cooling devices. Due to a lack of sufficient, sustainable alternatives to banned gasses, those regulations have resulted in unwanted impacts like an increase in emissions.
- Emissions from GHGs (including refrigerant gasses in cooling technology) have resulted in devastating climate impacts across the globe that will continue to increase in severity.
- There is an urgent and unprecedented need to reduce energy and gas consumption in Europe. This is driven by the high costs of energy and gas due to 1) a transitioning grid and 2) the unfolding geo-political situation caused by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
Current technology is insufficient to meet the level of sustainability (huge GHG emissions of HFC gas) and energy efficiency (30% – 40% Carnot COP). Required to deal with the industry problem, leaving huge market demand unfulfilled.
The magnetocaloric effect enables cooling without refrigerant gas, which complies with industry regulations and does not harm the environment. The magnetocaloric cooling devices also enable low vibrance, and low rotational speed, with fewer moving parts and no component put under stress, dramatically reducing the maintenance, compared with currently widely used gas compression technology.
Magnoric offers the most advanced gas-free refrigeration technology available today. And because we want a greener, cleaner and healthier future, we’re convinced that Magnoric embodies the future.